Thursday, February 12, 2009

Meet Jenny, An Owner Surrender


Sometimes you have no choice but to find a new home for your pet. There are many reasons for this. Maybe you are moving, or circumstances have somehow changed for you and you can no longer keep your friend. That was the case with Jenny, formally known as Mitten. I like Harry Potter names so I changed Mitten's name to Jenny Weasley. Her owner and his wife just had a new baby. Since Jenny is 7'8" long and weighs about 55 lbs, they were not comfortable having her there any more. Considering her head is close to the size of my hand, I can see why it would make them uncomfortable. She is large and because of her size alone, she is intimidating. However, as we have handled her, I have discovered she is quite tame. While we have been wary of her, she has been terrified of us, her new surroundings, being jostled around in two different cars, temperature changes, new voices and sounds-all have been thrust on her all at once. And she has not offered to bite even once. In fact, she tries to hide her head down below the loops of her long body. It truly softened my heart toward her. I am going to do everything I can to help her settle down and relax. I don't know yet what my future plans are for her. Her size makes it difficult to re home her. I may be able to use her this summer when I take my snakes out into the public to show people snakes are not so bad. Not that anyone would be allowed to hold her (or that they could. She is huge.) But seeing her and maybe touching her might help people to understand snakes better and soften their hearts, too. I will keep you updated on her progress. She is a learning experience for me and what I learn, I will pass on to you.

No comments: